Monday 14 December 2009

Guest Blogger: Bryn the Brit on TA's Versus LSA's!

Our Guest blogger today is Bryn Morin who is currently working as a Learning Support Assistant with Classroom. She is an avid blogger herself and I cannot recommend her Bryn the Brit postings more highly.

Bryn hails from Canada like many of our wonderful teachers and support staff who are here teaching in London and she has kindly allowed me to repost her recent blog where she talks about the differences between Teaching Assistants and Learning Support Assistants. It's a superb post and well worth taking the time to read:

In the short time I've been here, my job title has shifted from Teaching Assistant to Learning Support Assistant. These terms can sometimes be used more or less interchangeably, but at my school, it's an important distinction.

Every classroom has a TA. TAs assist in teaching and controlling the whole class. LSAs, on the other hand, are assigned to specific pupils who have been identified as requiring one-to-one support. There is some overlap, of course... I do help out with other things, but my assigned student is usually my first priority.

The required qualifications (having experience working with children) are technically the same for both roles, but I think most people are probably better suited to one or the other. I, for example, am definitely better off working as an LSA. I just like it better. But during my interview, the Head Teacher told me that there's no way she'd be able to stand working with the same pupil day in and day out. Different personality types, I guess.

So what does it take to be a great Learning Support Assistant?

Patience

When you're working with a child who has Special Educational Needs (SEN), learning and progress are bound to be part of a gradual process. Patience, understanding, and the love of a good challenge in this regard are absolutely vital.

Adaptability

Often, children with SEN require information to be presented to them in a variety of ways, and you may find yourself having to think up many new tricks on the fly. A solid understanding of pedagogy, as well as knowledge the child's individual needs, will help with this. Depending on what their needs are, their behaviour may also be unpredictable and you must be equipped to deal with that.

Ability to multitask

Your official role may revolve around one particular child, but that child does not exist in a vacuum. You will find yourself having to get involved in classroom management, administrative tasks, and teaching or assisting other pupils. You may also have to work in small groups with children who all have wildly different needs. Rarely will you find a moment when you don't have 5 or 6 children all trying to get your attention at the same time. You must be able to manage all of this at once, while still ensuring that your assigned pupil's needs are being met.

All of those qualities could be applied to being a TA, as well. But there's one more magical ingredient that's difficult to put into words.

What I love best about being an LSA is forming a bond with my student and watching her grow. It is a very personal experience and, for me, a very rewarding one. There have been days when I've gone home absolutely glowing, all because she successfully spelled a word, remembering to put the letters in the correct order. She and I celebrate many small victories together. She's rewarded with praise and stickers; I'm rewarded with big toothy grins.

To be a really great LSA, I think, you need to believe there's nothing better in the world than that.

Thanks Bryn - a great blog and a great description of what is needed to be a superb Learning Support Assistant. What do other readers think? Are there any other important qualities a person may need to indeed be a truly effective LSA?

2 comments:

  1. sense of humor!! being able to laugh makes all the difference between a good and a bad day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Bryn on this post and your blog! It's a great read. I'm happy to see that you are doing so well in London with Classroom.

    Amie is right as well. Humour is so important in the work of a Teaching Assistant/LSA (and teachers too).

    Thanks for the great work!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete